Expat Medical Insurance
As an expatriate, you may have heard about the need to take out medical insurance. Is it something you need to worry about? Do you need take out a policy or is it just a luxury or reassurance? In this article, we break down the key information about expat medical insurance and the areas you need to pay particular attention to when you come to taking out a policy, if you choose to do so.
What is Expat Medical Insurance?
Expatriate medical insurance allows yourself and your family access to healthcare wherever you are in the world, which otherwise may not be available or expensive.
Why Do You Need Expat Medical Insurance?
Depending where you are moving to in the world, you may not have access to any free, local healthcare. Expat medical insurance will also help cover the high costs that may be incurred when using local public or private healthcare which otherwise may not be affordable. And if suitable care is not available locally it can help you get the treatment you need elsewhere.
How Much Does Expat Medical Insurance Cost?
The annual cost of expatriate medical insurance can vary greatly depending on your age, the level of cover you want, your location, your occupation, your health status and any pre-existing medical conditions you already have.
Things you will need to consider when taking out a new plan:
- Do you want your policy to cover both inpatient (hospital) AND outpatient (GP’s, specialists etc.) treatment? Depending where you in the world, the costs of outpatient treatment can be very high, so you may want to protect yourself and your family against this.
- What is your occupation in the new country? Some jobs come with a higher risk of illness and injury, and some policies may not cover you for work related illness or injury at all!
- Make sure you are aware of what medical facilities your new plan will allow you to have access to. Some policies may be more restrictive than others.
- Do you have any existing medical conditions? You may not be immediately covered for pre-existing conditions, however if you are part of a larger company-sponsored scheme then they may be. Make sure you give up this information freely to get the best cover.
Please get in touch with us and we can provide you with an obligation-free quote taking all these factors into consideration and help guide your decision.
Expatriate Medial Insurance with Healthcare International
We understand that when you work/live abroad, risks change from country to country, so putting in place the best insurance is important. With over 15 years of experience in expatriate medical, life and travel insurance, we know how to deliver the best insurance solutions that meets the needs of international workers all over the world.
The benefits of our expatriate medical insurance include:
- Access to thousands of medical centres; specialists and physicians around the world.
- Our own 24-hour, 365-day medical emergency assistance service and access to global healthcare network of 24/7 medical professionals and centres
- We can arrange emergency transport to the nearest appropriate medical centre, or repatriation if required
If you need help with taking out expatriate medical insurance, we are happy to take you through the steps and help you get the cover that is right for you.
Get in touch with one of our team today.