Contact us
 0207 590 8800

Sales (calling within UK)


+44 (0)207 590 8800

Sales (calling outside UK)


Sales (Toll-free in USA and Canada)

 0207 590 8816

Claims (calling within UK)


+44 (0)207 590 8816

Claims (calling outside UK)


Claims (Toll-free in USA and Canada)

< Blog Home

Expats In London – What Utility Bills, Property Locations and Licenses You Should Be Aware Of


It is no secret that living in London is expensive, but on the flip side, wages are often considerably higher than in the rest of the country. 

There are several websites with tips and advice on living costs in London for expats moving to the city. 

To save you time, we have done the hard work for you and collated all the vital information you need for managing your money, which utilities you have to plan to pay, and settling into your new home when you move to London.


Your Home in London

If you haven’t secured accommodation through your job this will probably be the first thing you need to address. Property prices for both rental and buying vary hugely across the Capital. Generally, the city centre can be very expensive with some of the outer areas becoming much cheaper. 


Bills & Utilities in London

Depending on your rental agreement or if you have purchased your own property, you will need to be aware of what utility bills you will have to pay. Some rental agreements include some or all bills within the monthly rent or if you have purchased a property you will need to pay them all. Below we detail the most common utility bills. If you are renting, check which of the blow are not covered in your agreement.


Council Tax

No matter whether you own or rent your property, you must pay council tax. Council tax goes to your local council for the upkeep of the local area, refuse collection, street lighting and often towards the local police and fire stations. The cost of council tax varies by council (there are many different councils within London) and also by the size of the property. Annual council tax costs can vary between £620.80 and £1862.40 in the City of London. If you are living alone you can apply for single occupancy council tax which comes at a slight discount.


TV License

In the UK you MUST own a TV License if you watch live TV programs or on-demand BBC programs on iPlayer. You do not need a TV License if you use your TV (or computer) to watch DVDs or purely non-BBC on-demand services such as Netflix & ITV hub. A TV License costs £157.50 per year which can be paid annually or monthly. For more information on whether you need a TV license and where to pay, visit 


Power and Heating

The cost for powering and heating your home can vary a huge amount depending what plan you are on, with which provider, how big your home is, how many people live there and how careful you are with usage. 

The most common energy providers in London are EDF, British Gas, E-On and N-Power, but there are now also a range of more eco friendly, smaller providers. 

When you move into a property you can stay with the provider that the previous tenant/owner used or shop around for a better deal and switch. There are many comparison sites you can visit to help find the best deal, including USwitch, Which, Money Supermarket and Go Compare. 



Every property in London pays for both how much water is used and a contribution to sewerage costs in the capital. Unlike power and heating, you are unable to move water suppliers. The most common water supplier is Thames Water. 

Many properties now have a water meter. This allows you to be charged for only what you use rather than a standard annual cost. If you do not have a water meter you can ask the provider for one to be installed. Many have reported a drop in their water cost after having a meter fitted. It is difficult to estimate the cost you might pay for water.


TV, Broadband and Phone

Many companies in the UK offer bundle deals on TV, broadband and phone line packages. The most popular companies are Sky, BT and Virgin Media. For broadband, you sometimes have to pay for a phone line rental too, but this seems to be phasing out. You can of course use different companies for different services and you don’t have to always have all three.

Make sure you ask about getting free calls to your home country as many services offer special features such as this.

There is also a TV service in the UK called Freeview which offers hundreds of TV channels for free. To access this, you will need either a Freeview ready TV (most new TVs have this as standard) or a Freeview set top box. 



Moving to London should be an exciting experience, not a daunting one. We at Healthcare International want to help to make it the best transition possible so you can love our city just as much as we do. If you have taken out healthcare from us for your trip, one of our friendly staff is just a call away and ready to help you. 

If you haven’t yet taken out healthcare to cover your trip to the UK it is important that you do. Visit the healthcare page on our website here for more information on the services we provide or call one of our London based sales staff on +44 (0)207 590 8800