HealthCare International is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
HealthCare International may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from October 12, 2009.
HealthCare International may collect the following information when:
- you request a quote by telephone, online or using an intermediary
- you apply for a policy
- you make a claim in relation to a policy
- you submit any query to us, for example, by telephone, email, blog replies, or social media
- you participate in any marketing activity.
We may also collect personal information about you when:
- processing an application or claim, we may do credit or fraud checks, obtain medical reports or obtain information from other insurers you have previously had insurance with
- we are liaising with your family, employer, or treatment or other benefit providers, where you are a child, with your authority, or where you are unable to liaise with us
- you are named in an application or a policy as a dependant under that policy – this may be an individual or a corporate policy
What information will we collect?
We may add your information to our systems so we can identify you as an individual, to manage our relationship with you as a HealthCare International customer or prospective customer.
Our customer database may record the following information about you:
- name, address and contact details
- age and date of birth
- country of residence
- details of queries you have made
- information from customer surveys, competitions and marketing activities
- quotes you have requested
- policy applications made by you
- policy applications where you are included as a dependant
- your HealthCare International policies
- your HealthCare International policies where you have been included as a dependant, including corporate policies
If you have had a HealthCare International policy (or been included as a dependant on a policy) or have made or been included in an application for a HealthCare International policy, our customer database may record information relating to:
- payment details
- credit and anti-fraud checks
- your medical history and medical reports
- your claims history
HealthCare International may use your personal information:
- to consider and process policy applications
- to respond to your queries, including providing quotations
- to administer your policy and any claims you may make
- to provide you with our services, including medical advice, travel assistance services, and support with your medical treatment and other benefits
- to provide you with updates on HealthCare Internationals products and services
- to respond to requests where we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so
- for internal record keeping and administration
- for any competitions or other marketing activities
- to conduct and analyse customer surveys and research and development, which may be with anonymised data
Sharing your personal information
HealthCare International will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to parties or any other organisations to use for their own purposes unless we have your permission or are permitted by law to do so.
You agree that we may share your personal information as follows:
- where you are covered by a HealthCare International policy, with your treatment and other benefit providers, including travel assistance services, with your authority, or as we reasonably consider to be appropriate in the circumstances
- where you are insured under a corporate scheme, sharing information with your employer or an appointed intermediary, for product or service administration purposes
- with your intermediary, with your authority
- where you are not the policyholder under an individual policy, we will send all membership documents and confirmation of how we have dealt with a claim to the policyholder
- with HealthCare International group companies and administrators, to assist us in providing our services to you, including sales agents to follow up with prospective customers queries in relation to our products – sometimes these companies will be located outside your jurisdiction, in countries which do not provide the same protection as your own, in which case we ensure they are subject to contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security obligations
- with HealthCare International group companies or one of our insurance partners, where you would like to move to one of their insurance products – sometimes these companies will be located outside your jurisdiction, in countries which do not provide the same protection as your own, in which case we ensure they are subject to contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security obligations
- with other insurers and third parties for the purpose of fraud detection
- with credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score
- where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation
- with third parties where we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- with third parties where either we are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers or visitors to the website may be one of the transferred assets
- we may use the information to improve our products and services
- we may periodically send you promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address you have provided
- from time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a text file that is used by many websites to identify your computer to their server. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used.
The so-called “Cookie Law” requires websites to obtain consent from visitors to store or retrieve any information on a computer or any other web-connected device, like a smartphone or tablet.
As such, and in accordance with the Information Commissioner’s guidance on the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations, we understand by visiting this site, you have given your “implied consent” for cookies being set on your device.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to HealthCare International using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing or emailing to HealthCare International.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell HealthCare International that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to HealthCare International.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email HealthCare International as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.